- St Catherine's Church
- Church Road
- CH42 0LQ
A Church has stood on this site since 1831 when land was donated by the Hough family. Before then the people of Tranmere had a long walk to Bebington to our mother Church of St. Andrew.
At that time Tranmere was a small village of 1168 people and 213 houses surrounded by farmland and Tranmere woods with a windmill along the road from the site of the church.
The original Church was a simple brick building with rectangular windows and a short tower at the west end.
From 1873 the Church was largely rebuilt and the new building was consecrated in 1876 by the Bishop of Chester. The tower and spire were added in 1879. The stained glass window above the Lords' Table is in memory of Eliza Mortimer whose husband was Vicar from 1868-1886.
The Charles Whiteley pipe organ was installed and dedicated in memory of Dr. E. E. Marshall who was Vicar from 1908-1931. It is one of only three of its kind. One of the other two is believed to be at Eaton Hall home of the Duke of Westminster.